Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Caribbean Cruise




This bathroom is inspired by a Caribbean Cruise, focusing more on the cruise part than the Caribbean part. Now that the holidays are over and the winter doldrums have begun I figure we all need a nice warm tropical vacation. Since that's not a possibility for me I decided to make a bathroom that feels like a vacation. I've been on two cruises, one to Bermuda and one to the Western Caribbean, and with this room I wanted to create the feeling of those cruises without the additions of palm trees and pink coral.

First I selected iridescent blue floor tile that looks like water and a bathtub that looks like a large ship docked in the water. Next I chose a modern sink that matches the look of the bathtub but also reminds me of a something I'd see on a the lido deck, perhaps a small fountain near the pool? I did something different this time and decided to paint the walls white and put laminate wood planks on the ceiling. Because the floor is so BLUE I wanted to keep the linens simple and used white towels. The brass mirror is made to look like a cabin porthole. Other brass elements are the towel ring, the vintage inspired towel rack, and the hurricane lantern. Since it's a boat theme why not bathe by lamplight rather than candlelight? To bring the blue up to eye level I added two photographic prints, one of the Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef in Belize and the other of a rusted boat hull. Finally the teak bath stool and teak mirror light add to the wood accents. Bon Voyage!


Resources:
World Imports Schon bathtub ($2142) from PlumberSurplus.com
Iridescent Sphere Blue Circles ($14.50 for 12x12 sheets) from glasstilestore.com
Villeroy and Boch Aveo vanity unit ($2329) from Home and Stone
Armstrong Knotty Pine Ceiling Plank ($78.92) from Lowes
Waverly Home 6-pc. Towel Set ($37.99) from Target
Blue Hole, Lighthouse Reef, Belize framed print (18x22 - $99.99) from Allposters.com
Bronze Cabin Porthole Mirror ($210) from Cottage and Bungalow
Inspirations Vestige Towel Ring ($39.99) from Sears
Covington Train Rack ($129) from Pottery Barn
Anchor Lantern ($119.97) from Vermont Lanterns
Mister Bell's Boat print (12x18 - $55) from Cottage and Bungalow
36 Plein Air Premier frame ($48.95) from Pictureframes.com
Teak Bath Lighting Double Sconce ($69.99) from West Elm
Teak Bath Stool ($129) from West Elm

No comments:

Post a Comment