Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Old Vegas


This dining room is inspired by old Las Vegas. Last week I did a "Christmas" room so this week I wanted to do something for New Year's. When I think New Year's celebration I think Las Vegas. My goal was to create the feeling of an era when women wore gowns to watch the Rat Pack perform at the Copa Room at The Sands in 1960.

First, I selected the crystal sphere lamp because it reminds me of the crystal ball that drops at midnight and also because it has a flashy old Vegas elegance. Then I worked around that element and chose items that had bling but a classy kind of bling. Because it's a Vegas room I am bound by law to include some sort of neon item. The 'Lounge' neon sign I chose inspired the room's turquoise, gold, black, and silver color palette. The gold ribbon chest reminds me of something I would see in a room at the Golden Nugget. The zebra print rug anchors the room and adds visual interest. The mirrored round table allows you to check your make-up before heading out to the dance floor. The plush chairs look decadent and expensive but are actually reasonably priced. The sunburst mirror and platinum dinnerware add to the circular patterns throughout the room. Champagne flutes are a must when toasting to the New Year and of course, if we're talking Vegas, they also have to be sparkly.

All in all I think I created a room that captures the over the top feeling of Vegas that still exists today without actually going over the top. Funny thing, it was only after creating this room that I realized there are similarities to the last dining room I did. Mainly the round table with a spherical lighting fixture. I promise my next dining room will look completely different.

Paint color is Spring Breeze by Benjamin Moore

Happy New Year!


Resources:

Neon Lounge sign ($1500) from Roadhouse Relics
Belvedere Hanging Lamp ($69.95) from ZGallerie
Ribbon-Front Mirrored Chest ($1999) from Neiman Marcus
Antique Sunburst Mirror ($279) from Ballard Designs
Mikasa "Platinum Links" 5-Piece Place Setting ($89.99) from Macy's
Alan Lee Conical drinkware ($85 for 2 flutes) from Horchow
Hand Tufted Zebra Rug (7'6 x 9'6) from Target
Venetian Dining Table ($899) from ZGallerie
Upholstered Dining Tufted Parsons Chair ($279) from Home Decorators Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment