Sunday, February 28, 2010

Winter Olympics


This rustic slash vintage slash formal living room is inspired by the Winter Olympics. Sure the Olympics are pretty much over but in my defense I was too busy actually watching the Olympics plus we lost electricity here because of apocalyptic winds. Yes I am one of those people who loves the Olympics and watches them every night. I don't really even like sports (except baseball) but for some reason every four years I get into the spirit and root for Team USA during events in which I'm not even sure what's going on (Nordic Combined anyone??). So this room is my homage to the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, home design style.

So, first I started with a white rug to represent snow and to coordinate with the red sofa and blue chair (red, white, and blue). I also added the sheepskin pouf because it's white and reminds me of one of those hand warmers that women used to wear in the olden days. The wall mounted gel fuel fireplace represents the Olympic flame. The 3 mirrors above the fireplace are symbols of the gold, silver, and bronze medals and the bench in front of the fireplace looks like a sled and also its golden hue symbolizes going for the gold! I selected the light fixture because it is comprised of rings like the Olympic symbol.

The wooden antique skis hanging on the wall represent my favorite aspect of the games, alpine skiing. I chose the famous Jasper Johns flag print not just because it is the flag of my country but also as a representative of all the flags from the countries with athletes participating in the games. I also added a vintage poster from the 1936 Berlin Games. Rounding out the room, I added wallpaper that has a damask pattern reminiscent of big white snowflakes. Usually I'm not a fan of accent walls but I would probably only paper the wall in back of the sofa in this strong pattern.

Resources:

Tyler Rug (8x10 - $699) from Crate and Barrel
Sheepskin Pouf ($299) from West Elm
Rouge Orient sofa ($4389) from Horchow
Astrid Chair ($1998) from Anthropologie
WallMount GelFuel Fireplace ($199.99) from Target
Set of 3 Round Wall Mirrors ($39.99) from JCPenney
Brody walnut finish French bench ($209.99) from Overstock.com
Varaluz 27' Chandelier ($689.91) from Lamps Plus
1900's Norwegian Kids Skis ($275) from VintageSkiWorld.com
Jasper Johns, Flag 1954 ($179) from Room and Board
Sophie Damask Wallpaper (2 rolls $80) from Modern Chic Home

No comments:

Post a Comment